Reba McEntire, ‘Sing It Now: Songs of Faith & Hope': Everything You Need to Know
Reba McEntire's first-ever gospel album drops on Feb. 3, and a look between the lines reveals so much about the project. Sing It Now: Songs of Faith & Hope is filled with today's top songwriters, and features a previously recorded gospel song by one of country's top male vocalists.
The country legend says the album's title is perfect because "the message and melody throughout the song connects the dots between the traditional hymns I grew up on and new music that has been uplifting for me in challenging times." The title track kicks off Disc 2 of this two-disc set. Here is everything there is to know about the album.
The first single is a song called "Back to God," co-written by Randy Houser and well-known songwriter Dallas Davidson. Houser cut the song for his debut album Anything Goes and has been known to play it live in the years since. His version is more country-rock than gospel. It's not clear how McEntire will sing a song that could make a big impact in today's world.
There will be 20 songs on the massive, two-disc gospel album from McEntire. The first 10 are traditional songs, while Disc 2 is full of originals from some of Nashville's top songwriters. The singer herself co-wrote one song called "I Got the Lord on My Side" with her mother Jackie McEntire.
Disc 1 (Classic Hymns)
1."Jesus Loves Me"
2. "Oh, How I Love Jesus"
3. "When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder"
4. "Oh Happy Day"
5. "Amazing Grace"
6. "I'll Fly Away"
7. "In the Garden / Wonderful Peace" (Feat. the Isaacs)
8. "Swing Low Sweet Chariot / Swing Down Chariot"
9. "How Great Thou Art"
10. "Softly and Tenderly" (Feat. Kelly Clarkson, Trisha Yearwood)
Disc 2 (Originals)
1. "Sing It Now" (Michael Farren, Joseph Habedank, Tony Wood)
2. "Angels Singin'" (Jessi Alexander, Sarah Buxton, Steve Moakler)
3. “God and My Girlfriends” (written by Patricia Conroy, Lisa Hentrich, Marcia Ramirez)
4. “Hallelujah, Amen” (written by Dave Barnes, Lucie Silvas, Jeremy Spillman)
5. “There Is a God” (written by Chris DuBois, Ashley Gorley)
6. “I Got the Lord on My Side” (written by Reba McEntire, Jackie McEntire)
7. “Back to God” (written by Dallas Davidson, Randy Houser)
8. “Angel on My Shoulder” (written by Leigh Reynolds, Amber White, Philip White)
9. “From the Inside Out” (written by Amy Fletcher)
10. “Say a Prayer” (written by Michael Dulaney, Jason Sellers, Neil Thrasher)
11. “Jesus Loves Me (Reprise)” [HIDDEN TRACK]
Credit Goes To:
Producer Jay DeMarcus of Rascal Flatts helped McEntire create Sing It Now. Fans will also find collaborations with the Isaacs on a medley of "In the Garden" and "Wonderful Peace." Trisha Yearwood and Kelly Clarkson join McEntire on a traditional song called "Softly and Tenderly." The singer released this song one day after announcing her new album and show at the Ryman Auditorium.
Why a Gospel Album?
She's always wanted to record one, that's why. The project shouldn't surprise fans, as there has often been a hint of gospel or Christian music in McEntire's original records. It's how she was raised — in fact, "Jesus Loves Me" is the very first song she ever performed in public.
Reba McEntire's Sing It Now: Songs of Faith and Hope will be available at retailers on Feb. 3.
See Reba McEntire Through the Years
The Most Unforgettable Reba McEntire Moments!