Mozzarella and Tomato Skewers Recipe by Carolyn Dawn Johnson
“I found this recipe in one of my easy cookbooks, and it has become one of my go-to appetizer staples for when company comes,” Carolyn Dawn Johnson tells Taste of Country of her simple and delicious recipe for mozzarella and tomato skewers.
“I love them! They are fun and easy to nibble on while waiting for the ‘real’ meal to be served. The only problem with them is that they are sooooo delicious that you can’t just have one, so it’s easy to fill up on them before the actual dinner!” she admits. “Honestly, every time I’ve served these, I get asked for the recipe.”
Mozzarella and Tomato Skewers Ingredients:
24 slices white country bread (each about 1/2 inch thick)
6 tablespoons olive oil
9 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 slices
6 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4 slices
1 cup fresh basil leaves
salt and ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
Mozzarella and Tomato Skewer Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Trim the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into four equal squares.
3. Arrange on baking sheet and brush with half the olive oil.
4. Bake for 3-5 minutes, until squares are pale golden color.
5. Remove bread squares from the oven and place them on a chopping board with other ingredients.
6. Make 32 stacks, each starting with square of bread, then a slice of mozzarella cheese topped with a slice of tomato and basil leaf.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
8. Repeat, ending with a piece of bread.
9. Push a skewer through each stack and place on baking sheet.
10. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
11. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese begins to melt.
12. Garnish with basil and parsley.
About Carolyn Dawn Johnson:
Before the country music scene fell head over heels in love with the voice of Carolyn Dawn Johnson, we were singing along to her music and didn’t even know it. The Canadian-born singer-songwriter got her first taste of success in 1999 when Chely Wright took her tune ‘Single White Female’ all the way to the top of the country singles chart.
After we demanded more from the blonde beauty, Johnson released her own album, ‘Room With a View,’ two years later. That album produced hit singles ‘Georgia,’ ‘I Don’t Want You to Go’ and the Top 5 hit, ‘Complicated.’ Johnson had three more albums to follow, her latest being 2010′s independent release, ‘Love Rules.’