Thomas Rhett Announces New ‘Life Changes’ Album
Subscribe to Taste of Country on
Thomas Rhett has revealed details of his new Life Changes studio album. The album is his third studio album, and includes a very personal title track.
USA Today broke the news on Thursday morning (July 27). The 14-song album will drop on Sept. 8 and feature the hit single “Craving You,” his new single “Unforgettable” and nine other co-writes. There’s a collaboration with his father Rhett Akins and two songwriting collaborations with “Die a Happy Man” hit makers Sean Douglas and Joe Spargur called “Sweetheart” and “Sixteen.” The title track is sure to be a focus track, however.
In June Rhett told Taste of Country that the song “Life Changes” was inspired by the idea of becoming a father for the first time, as well as his quick ascension from college student to country music headliner. He and wife Lauren adopted an 18-month-old named Willa Gray in May and are set to welcome a new baby girl in August.
“It’s kind of about my daughter and it’s kinda about a lot of things,” he said.
“Basically it goes from me being in college to me being here now and how drastically my life has changed in the last five or six years. And Willa being a huge part of that.”
Subscribe to Taste of Country on
“Craving You” with Maren Morris was the album’s debut single, hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart this summer. The next single is “Unforgettable,” set for release on July 28. Rhett shared a clip of the song on Instagram on Friday (July 21) and also told the Tennessean it might tear you up.
“It’s one of (wife) Lauren’s favorite songs on the record,” he adds, “which definitely makes me feel better about it.”
There’s also and EDM-influenced song called “Leave Right Now.”
“I want people to come in from different genres and be like, ‘Dang, I never really listened to country music, but this record kind of turns me on in different ways,'” Rhett tells USA Today.
Life Changes is the follow-up to Tangled Up, his platinum-certified album from 2015. Rock and roll, R&B and electronic dance music all make their way into his brand of country music on this album.
Rhett also shared the cover of the album in a press release Thursday, depicting the singer in a gray hooded shirt and jeans jacket with his name and the title of the album in stylized lettering.
Thomas Rhett, Life Changes Track Listing:
1. “Craving You” (Feat. Maren Morris) (Dave Barnes, Julian Bunetta)
2. “Unforgettable” (Rhett, Jesse Frasure, Ashley Gorley, Shane McAnally)
3. “Sixteen” (Rhett, Sean Douglas, Joe Spargur)
4. “Drink a Little Beer” (Feat. Rhett Akins) (Rhett Akins, Frasure, Ben Hayslip)
5. “Marry Me” (Rhett, Frasure, Gorley, McAnally)
6. “Leave Right Now” (Rhett, Bunetta, Edward Drewett, John Henry Ryan)
7. “Smooth Like the Summer” (Rhett, Frasure, McAnally, Osborne)
8. “Life Changes” (Rhett, Akins, Frasure, Gorley)
9. “When You Look Like That” (Jessi Alexander, Matt Dragstrem, David Lee Murphy)
10. “Sweetheart” (Rhett, Akins, Douglas, Spargur)
11. “Kiss Me Like a Stranger” (Rhett, Barnes, Jordan Reynolds)
12. “Renegades” (Rhett, Bunetta, Ryan)
13. “Gateway Love” (Rhett, Douglas, Sam Ellis, Emily Weisband)
14. “Grave” (DeStefano, Hillary Lindsey, Josh Miller)
Thomas Rhett and Wife Lauren Show Off Bump at the ACM Awards