Daddy’s Biscuits Recipe by Trisha Yearwood
"When I was a kid, my dad would get up early every Christmas and make biscuits," Trisha Yearwood reveals in the new issue of People Country, speaking of her Daddy's Biscuits recipe.
"Christmas morning was about Santa Claus and a big breakfast with his biscuits! Now that I've lost both my parents, I know how precious those memories are," she says. "When I'm making those biscuits, I think about my dad, who's been gone seven years, and it's a great memory."
Daddy's Biscuits Recipe Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
Daddy's Biscuits Recipe Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or two knives until it resembles coarse meal.
3. Add buttermilk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 to 4 times.
5. Flatten or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter and place 1 inch apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes: 10 biscuits
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes